Whilst I've loved living in Australia so far, there will always be little bits about England that I particularly like and miss. I decided to list 5 of my favorite things I love about my home country.
1. The Attitude Towards The Weather- Everyone has an obsession with the weather and complains about it, no matter what season it is. We love to hate it. In the winter it's far too cold we're never ever prepared as a country for the snow, in the spring its raining too much, in the summer it's too hot and in the autumn it's downright depressing- we go to work in the dark and return home in the dark. But what is great about the weather is that England actually gets the seasons. Here in Australia, it just feels hot ALL of the time!
2. Tea- It solves everything. Upset? Let me get you a cup of tea. Celebrating? A good cup of tea is in order. It is essentially a big hug in a mug and there is very few English people who'd disagree! Over here in Australia I've managed to source Yorkshire Tea (aka the best tea ever) which has been essential for those rainy Queensland days.
3. English Liberalism- We're arguably a pretty accepting country, and I really like that. We're also pretty open minded and welcoming of all things weird and wonderful. We don't just welcome it though- we seem to embrace it so much more than other countries.
4. The History- You're surrounded by it, and it's actually really cool. I had the pleasure of living in York for the past year whilst I was studying my Masters degree and I loved living in a walled city full of Roman and Viking history. Christmas is always particularly atmospheric, with Christmas markets across the country. I actually really missed Christmas here in Australia as I find the UK really go all out and you can't help but feel festive. There's something just not so festive about air con and the blistering sun here in Australia.
5. The BBC- It's weird; a state funded broadcasting company, but it's pretty good. I only really fully appreciated it after spending extended time in France and Australia but it really does pump out some of the best TV and radio programmes and documentaries I've ever seen (hello Louis Theroux). Radio 4 is particularly good and something I can't wait to get back listening to once we have an unlimited data plan.
What are your favorite things about the country you're from?